Frequently Asked Questions2019-11-24T22:06:59+10:00

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the minimum age to fly drones commercially?2019-11-24T17:12:00+10:00

Currently, to hold a remote pilot licence (RePL), there has been no minimum age. However, the new regulations now state that a person must be at least 16 years of age to hold a RePL, and be supervised by a licenced remote pilot who is at least 18 years old.

To hold the AROC,  you must be at least 17 years old.

Where does Wicked Copters provide RePL and Advanced Training?2019-11-23T08:47:09+10:00

Wicked Copters is the only training provider to offer iBEV (with our I’ve Been Everywhere Van) venues for RePL and Advanced training around the country.

So we come to you anywhere in Australia!

Do you offer group discounts?2019-11-24T21:55:09+10:00

We are always open to discuss corporate or group discounts or price match a comparable course to ensure you receive the most up to date training at the best price.

What changes after the new Part 101 MOS becomes fully effective by October 2020?2020-08-28T23:59:36+10:00

From 10 June 2020, our new Part 101 MOS CASA approved RePL courses were authorised to commence.

The main changes that Part 101 MOS brings to the RePL courses are:

  • Reduced content by approx 30%
  • Includes tethered operations practical training
  • Drone focussed learning and less manned aviation content
  • Online courses are webinar-based and suited for isolearning during the COVID restrictions
  • For any RePL upgrade, your prior experience and date of initial issue of your RePL  now determines the variation syllabus
  • The RePL supersedes the need for operator accreditation in the sub 2kg commercial or landowners category
Do I need to update my ReOC manuals when adding a new drone (RPA) to my ReOC?2019-11-23T08:25:02+10:00

Yes, you will need to supply an updated Operations Manual and Operational Procedures (Library) on the new drone (RPA) being added, including its Serial Number.

How high can I fly?2019-11-24T17:11:57+10:00

The maximum operating height is 400 feet above ground level (AGL) unless permission has been given by CASA to fly above this height via an application using Form 101-09.

Will you price match?2020-08-29T00:26:18+10:00

Yes, if you find a better price of a comparable course or product that we offer. Click here to request a price match!

Regarding courses, we present the new MOS RePL, and not the old 2016 syllabus that other training organisations provide, so their courses are not comparable due to the lower outdated syllabus.

What is Operator accreditation2020-08-29T00:07:44+10:00

If you’re flying a drone or remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) under the ‘Sub 2 kg‘ or ‘Flying over your own land‘ excluded category, you’ll soon need to get accredited to fly from 30 September 2020.

Accreditation shows you’ve learnt the drone safety rules— officially known as the ‘standard operating conditions’, but excludes practical training (such as provided by Wickedcopters)

Accreditation will consist of a short safety video and online quiz covering basic SOC rules.

It will last for three years and provide you with an accreditation for flying and supervising others. Anyone under the age of 16 will need to be supervised by an accredited adult (over 18) at all times when they fly.

If you hold a remote pilot licence (RePL), you will not need to get an accreditation, and you may fly under a ReOC too.

Accreditation does not allow you any privileges outside of the SOC and you cannot fly under a ReOC.

Can I fly my drone (RPA) indoors and take photographs?2019-11-22T23:35:01+10:00

While there is nothing in the regulation (Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 (CASR) 101A, C and F) to stop you from flying indoors, consider the following:

  • you must not operate an unmanned aircraft in a way that creates a hazard to another aircraft, another person, or property
  • you must not fly closer than 30 metres of people
  • you must not fly over any populous area
  • the building must contain the drone (RPA) so as not to be able to fly out of the building into the airspace above it (i.e. if the building is located within three nautical miles of an aerodrome, helicopter landing site or authorised landing area or controlled airspace).

Familiarise yourself with the Drone101 app which is available on Apple App StoreGoogle Play and Amazon, for free!!

What does an RePL cost?2020-04-23T10:19:42+10:00

The new MOS approved online webinar course for sub 7kg RePL costs $2500 (excluding any discounts), and includes the mandatory GELP, AROC and tethered operations training.

The RePL and AROC are issued to you for life and there are no renewal fees.

What do I need to fly a drone above 2kg or outside the SOC?2019-11-23T08:56:32+10:00

If you want to fly a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) commercially in Australia, outside of the excluded category (e.g. greater than 2kg in weight), then you need to be licensed by CASA.

This authorisation comes in the form of a remote pilot licence (RePL) (your drone pilot licence), allowing individuals to fly for operators holding an RPA Operator’s Certificate (ReOC).

The ReOC allows you to fly in most areas, including at night, up to 15m from people and within 3nm of non-towered aerodromes etc. in accordance with your approved procedures.

ReOC holders can also apply for additional operational authorisations (approvals, exemptions and permissions) using Form 101-09  e.g. operate within 3nm of towered aerodromes, above 400ft AGL, EVLOS or BVLOS.

Will I be able to fly at night or up to 15m of people?2019-11-23T08:46:16+10:00

Yes. CASA provides an exemption to established ReOC operators to fly at night and closer than 30 meters (but no closer than 15 meters) of people not associated with the safe operation of the drone (RPA). Prior to granting this exemption, the procedural content articulated in the ReOC Operational Procedures (Library) must be approved by CASA.

Is Wicked Copters a Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS) Training Provider?2019-11-23T08:50:53+10:00

Yes. Wicked Copters is a CASA-approved RPAS Remote Pilot Licence (RePL) training  provider (CASA.ReOC.0152), offering drone licence (RePL) training across Australia, both in-class and online on a weekly basis for Multi Rotor, Aeroplane, Helicopter and soon Powered Lift drones up to 25kg.

Our specialised training includes:

  • Photography / Cinematography
  • Photogrammetry and LIDAR
  • Mapping and Surveying for Construction, Mining or Environmental Monitoring
  • 3D Modelling / Structure from Motion
  • Remote Sensing / Thermal Imaging / NDVI
  • EVLOS pilot and observer training (CASA EVLOS procedures may require additional qualifications)
  • Night Flying
  • UgCS
  • ODM
How do I apply for an ReOC?2019-11-23T09:11:55+10:00

Once you have gained your RePL, you may operate commercially with an RPA Operator’s Certificate (ReOC) holder, or apply for your own ReOC.

To gain an ReOC you must:

  1. Complete the relevant Application Forms
  2. Complete and submit supporting documentation including your RPAS Operations Manual and RPAS Operational Procedures (Library)
  3. Pay the estimated fee (approx $1500) for a non-complex aerial work operations ReOC)
  4. Participate in a written scenario assessment and an interview with CASA or an authorised industry delegate
  5. A flight test may be required if your licence was obtained via the aviation theory route / manufacturer assessment, and not via an RPAS training organisation, such as Wicked Copters.

Your ReOC will be issued upon successful completion of the assessment process.  


How much does it cost for an ReOC?2019-11-23T08:42:38+10:00

Currently, the average estimated CASA fee for an ReOC is $1,400 to $1700, but this cost will vary depending on the amount of time it takes to assess the application, the type of operations being applied for, the quality and complexity of your submission.

There is a renewal fee of $480 which is due at the end of the first year of operation and subsequently every three years.

How long will it take to obtain a RPA Operator’s Certificate (ReOC)?2019-11-23T08:41:10+10:00

Currently the lead time is approximately 21 to 30 working days via a CASA Delegate and 3 to 6 months via CASA. The estimated fee must be paid prior to the commencement of any regulatory services assessment.


Can I fly my drone over populous areas?2019-11-23T08:28:16+10:00

No you can’t. However, you can apply to CASA for an exemption to fly over a populous area. CASA will assess the risk mitigations specified in the application on a case-by-case basis. CASA will require redundancy in your drone for flying over people or populous areas (e.g. a hexacopter or octacopter, drop chute, dual batteries, redundant GPS and IMU, etc).

How do I obtain an RePL?2020-10-10T07:17:48+10:00

The new Part 101 MOS approved drone training courses (applicable from 10 October 2020) are drone focussed, less content, same duration, and the ‘Closed Book’ assessment allows access to all CASA and ASA publications. The practical includes tethering and waypoints too.

These new courses cover the new requirements for chief and remote pilots operating under a ReOC, and the new sub 2kg commercial planning and record keeping. In addition, our training includes tethered operations for operations within 3nm of airports as per the new Part101 MOS.

You will have access to our digital notes before, during, and after your course completion, including any updates as new Regulations become effective.

There are basically two ways to obtain your RePL:

  1. The Initial Issue RePL options are :
    1. Full RePL course: Intended for anyone who does not hold any previous manned or unmanned licence.
    2. Initial RePL course: Intended for a manned aviation licence holder with an RPL, PPL, CPL or ATPL, and requires the submission of Form101-01 with our issued certificates.
  1. If you do hold a current RePL (issued after 10 April 2017), then you are only required to complete an Upgrade RePL course. The Upgrade Training options are :
    1. upgrading to increase the weight class of the same type, or
    2. upgrading to add a different type of RPA

The duration and content of the upgrade training is dependent on your existing qualifications and prior experience.

Our RePL drone training and advanced courses are conducted throughout Australia.

Do you offer payment plans?2020-04-23T10:16:36+10:00

We offer customised payment plans that allow you to train now with a deposit and pay off the balance before your licence is issued. Please contact us to organise a payment plan.

Do I need any Approval or Accreditation to fly my drone as a hobbyist for fun?2019-11-23T09:13:47+10:00

If you want to fly your drone or model aircraft for fun in Australia, you can do so without CASA approval – providing you follow the simple safety rules.

However, with the new MOS, all hobbyists will require mandatory registration with CASA for all their aircraft, unless they are members of a CASA-approved flying club.

What do I need to fly my sub 2kg drone commercially?2019-11-23T09:06:17+10:00

You will need to apply for an Aviation Reference Number (ARN), notify CASA of your intent to fly your drone for business (commercially) at least 5 days before you fly and operate under a set of Drone Safety Rules (Standard Operating Conditions).

You will also soon have to also get your CASA drone accreditation and register your drone.

Any flights outside of the Drone Safety Rules will require you to hold an RePL and operate under an ReOC.

Can I fly my drone in First Person View (FPV) i.e. beyond or extended visual line of sight?2019-11-23T08:35:59+10:00

No. You must keep the drone (RPA) in sight at all times, unaided (except for prescription glasses or sunglasses) without the use of binoculars, telescopes or zoom lenses etc., unless:

  • Your ReOC holds a BVLOS Instrument of Approval and your pilots and drones meet the requirements, or
  • Your ReOC holds an EVLOS Instrument of Approval and your pilots and drones meet the requirements.
Do I need an ELP to hold an RePL?2020-08-29T00:36:35+10:00

Yes, the new MOS requires all RePL holders to also hold an English Language Proficiency for the RePL to be valid.

Existing RePL holders without an ELP will need to obtain an ELP for their RePL to remain valid.

Looking for more information?